Seniors Decide on Post-Graduate Plans and Special Senior Events

Anna Albertson

Seniors mark the colleges and universities they will be attending after they graduate.

On Wednesday, May 5, from 12 to 3pm, the senior skip day event occurred on EC’s campus. During this event, seniors got to mark on a map where they were going to college, sign the senior wall, take a class photo with their college swag, play games, and eat lunch.

A majority of the seniors, based on the seniors who came to the event and marked their college on the map, are going to colleges in the west coast states. But the location of college, university, and programs ranged from the west coast to the east coast, Hawaii, and even to Europe.

Senior skip day was one of the few remaining senior events seniors could go to this year. Within the last couple weeks of May and early June, there is still prom, Senior Tribute, graduation rehearsal, baccalaureate mass, graduation and Grad night.

Prom occurs on May 22, from 8 to 10:30 pm, at Art Marble 21 in South Lake Union. This event is open to juniors and seniors, with the allowance of one non-EC guest if the student wishes. Tickets have already been sold and can no longer be purchased.

On May 26, senior tribute, which is an assembly for seniors and their family and friends where the senior’s accomplishments are celebrated, will occur in the main courtyard on campus at 12 pm. This year, seniors are only allowed to bring two guests, but the event will be streamed live for those who are not there.

On June 1, at 1:35 pm on Charlie Acosta Field on campus, EC is hosting the graduation rehearsal. If seniors want to walk at graduation, this event is mandatory. In addition, any honor cords the students have earned and/or paid for will be distributed then.

On June 4, at 7 pm at Mary, Queen of Peace Catholic Church located in Sammamish, the traditional baccalaureate mass will be held. Seniors will be allowed to guests and the guest tickets will be distributed during the graduation rehearsal. EC is finalizing the livestream details and hoping to have the livestream to have this event more accessible to everyone.

Seniors should arrive at the location no later than 6:15 pm. At the baccalaureate mass, professional dress is required for the students; seniors are to wear their graduation gowns, sashes, and honors cords. In addition, seniors are not allowed to wear their graduation caps.

On June 7, the graduation ceremony will occur on Charlie Acosta Field at 7:30 pm, but seniors should not arrive any later than 6:30 pm and should head directly to the gym. Seniors are allowed to bring four guests and the tickets will be distributed during the graduation rehearsal. This event will be lived-streamed on the NFHS Network and be free for those who watch.

This year only, due to the location, the class of 2021 seniors are allowed to decorate their caps. However, the caps must be decorated appropriately, and if they are not, they will be taken away and replaced.

Lastly, on June 7, grad night is occurring directly after the graduation ceremony. Students should bring comfortable and warm clothes to change into after graduation. This event is parent-sponsored, and students and families should have received additional information via email.

Additional details on dress attire and other things can be found in an email sent out to parents and students around mid-May.