Eastside Catholic Beginning New Hybrid School Model

Eastside Catholic students getting their temperatures taken

@eastsidecatholicschool Instagram

On Feb. 1, 2021, high school students at Eastside Catholic began to come to school on campus for the first time since March 2020. Because of the COVID-19 restrictions, students have been unable to attend in-person school and have been attending school virtually from home for the past several months. With a modified bell schedule, and two groups of students attending school on different days, Eastside Catholic has begun to welcome students onto its campus.
The new hybrid school model includes two groups of students, group A and group B. Group A attends school in-person on Monday and Tuesday while Group B attends school in-person on Thursday and Friday, with both groups attending school remotely on Wednesday. Students and faculty can either join in-person for hybrid school or stay at home and teach or learn remotely.
New precautions have been put in place on campus to keep everyone safe. The daily school schedule has been shortened to 8:00 to 12:30 to prevent exposure during lunch hours. There are different entrances into school based on last name and specific directions to walk in each hallway to help ease crowded halls and doorways.
Before school, temperatures are taken, and during school, students regularly sanitize and wear masks at all times. Bathrooms are not open during passing time between classes, and teachers will let their students go one at a time.
All students have been asked to download a new app called Trace Innovations. This app helps manage contact between students by tracking their location during school hours. It helps faculty identify who an infected person interacted with, how long the interaction occurred, and the risk level of the interaction.
To help all students learn, Eastside Catholic has installed OWL cameras in the classrooms which provide 360 degrees of audio and video so students learning remotely can be just as engaged as students on campus. There are also volunteer proctors who watch classes when the teacher has decided to teach remotely to ensure that students will pay attention and can ask for help when needed.
“The school has done a super great job with safety regarding the pandemic, and even if it isn’t normal, it was fun to see everyone and be back at school,” said current student, Dannan Roy ‘24.