Crusaders Rally Late to Top O’Dea in 3A State Championship

Luke Pickett, Insider Staff

On Saturday, Dec. 7, our very own Eastside Catholic football team played in their second consecutive 3A State Championship. The game was be at 12 pm at Sparks Stadium in and rain and cold of Puyallup. We played against O’Dea Catholic High School, whom we beat last year to win the title.

The complication was that earlier this year, we lost to O’Dea during our Homecoming game in our home field. That was the teams’ only loss of the season. O’Dea has gone undefeated throughout the whole year, making this rematch a highly anticipated one. This game has been the goal for the season since the very beginning. The returning members of the team have set their eyes on this game since they won it last year. Gio Ursino ‘20 said, “Going back to back has been the goal and motive for our team all year”.

As mentioned previously, the team lost to O’Dea earlier this year, so the rivalry is arguably stronger than ever. Prior to the game, Matthew Mackleit ’20 spoke on what this game means for the team and for the school, saying, “This is the biggest game of the year. Not only because it’s the championship game, but also because it’s against our rivals. They have a great team this year and it’s going to take everything we have to beat them.”

This game concluded many seniors’ time at EC, and they all hoped that it would be memorable. The Crusaders had a phenomenal season, winning all but one. As for Coach Dom and his team, they hoped it stayed that way. The game was a long, hard fought battle. Up until the last few minutes of the game, the score was just 7-0 in favor of EC. Both defenses shined throughout the game, but in the end, the Crusaders proved they had it all.